Born in Italy in 1978, Aldo Armiento recognised the potential of the internet medium from the beginning.
In the mid-1990s, aged 17, Aldo Armiento founded one of the first Italian companies to use the internet as a vehicle to promote tourism, also creating some of the earliest e-commerce sites based on the emerging Java applet technology.
In the years prior to 2000, while studying Computer Science, he implemented internet projects for the then European Community, as well as for large Italian companies: he worked with BasicNet S.p.A. (Kappa) on the launch of the Italian Football Association's Kombat shirt at the European Championships; with DADA S.p.A. on its CityLife project; and with Milka in creating online competitions.
In 2001, he helped co-found Cerca.com S.r.l., where he would remain for more than five years, focused on developing communication solutions based on open-source software.
In 2004, he launched iVoice.it, the first VoIP community based on SIP standards, and contributed to writing Asterisk, the undisputed world-leading software for creating VoIP switchboards and gateways.
In February 2005, he created and launched MotoreLavoro.it, one of the Italian largest search engines dedicated entirely to job vacancies. From this emerged BigList.it, which extended the concept of the ad aggregator to property, cars and motorcycles.
Over the years, he has also taken an interest in mobile development, writing Teletext for iPhone (2010) as a test application. With more than 250,000 downloads, it was the App Store's second most-downloaded application for more than 8 days and has always remained among the top 10 applications in the Utility category.
In 2008, he entered active partnership with the start-up eureKasa.it, which laid the foundations for Immobiliare.it S.p.A., Italy's leading property market portal, of which he is Chief Technology Officer.
«My primary job is to make sure the Company technology strategy serves its business strategy»
2008 to present
Chief Technology Officer
Immobiliare.it S.p.A. is Italy’s leading online property advertising company. The Immobiliare.it website (launched in October 2007 and preceded by eureKasa.it in 2005) is Italy’s number-one property portal. The company’s sites receive over 22 million visits per month, are used by more than 19,000 property agents and developers, and boast 1.2 million searchable listings.
2009 ~ 2017
Head of Systems
Facile.it is Italy’s largest online comparison service in the insurance sector, used by more than 1.5 million customers every month. It is the sector’s most-visited site, ahead of even those insurance companies whose core business is online. Facile.it is an insurance broker regulated by IVASS, and credit broker governed by Banca d’Italia.
2006 ~ 2014
Founder Member & Chief Technology Officer
MotoreLavoro.it (February 2005) is one of the largest search engines dedicated entirely to job vacancies; it searches dozens of websites for new vacancies, and makes these accessible through a single service. BigList.it (released in beta in October 2006 and fully launched in May 2007) searches and indexes thousands of employment, property car, and motorcycle listings from hundreds of websites. This large listing search engine (over 500,000 job vacancies, 5,000,000 properties, and 3,000,000 cars and bikes) channels tens of thousands of highly-motivated visitors to its indexed sites. These sites receive more than 1.2 million visits per month and generate over four million page views (data from Google Analytics, January 2011). The company merged with Immobiliare.it S.p.A in 2014.
2001 ~ 2005
Co-founding Member & Software Development
Operating in the Information Technology sector to create network communication software and solutions based entirely on open-source technology, as well as metasearch engines, Cerca.com also operated the eponymous portal (online since early 1997 and relaunched in March 2004), which was a valuable starting point for navigating the internet (as mentioned in “Internet ‘98” by Marco Calvo, published by Laterza, Bari).
1998 ~ 2001
This company planned and created services to improve its clients’ communication and sales activity. We used web tools to organise and support sales networks, and developed public, private, and e-commerce websites, handling training, mentoring, and office automation processes.
1997 ~ 2010
Software Research and Development
XMedia Lab (sole trader)
- Televideo per iPhone, 2010 - Televideo per iPhone is the app for accessing Italian broadcasters’ teletext services on iPhone. With over 250,000 downloads, it was the App Store’s second-most-downloaded app for more than eight days. It has always remained in the top-10 most-downloaded apps in the Utility category. The app has received more than 3,500 reviews, achieving a rating of 4.5/5 stars.
- Televideo HD (iPad app), 2010 - Televideo HD is the app for accessing Italian broadcasters’ teletext services on Apple iPad. With more than 35,500 downloads, it ranked number one on the day of launch and remained in the top 50 for more than six months. It has always remained in the top-10 most-downloaded apps in the Utility category, and did not drop below 5th position for over 9 months. The app has received more than 800 reviews, achieving a rating of 4.5/5 stars.
- MotoreLavoro.it, 2005 - MotoreLavoro searches and indexes thousands of job vacancies on the web. Indexes are constantly updated, so that MotoreLavoro searches include a huge number of the very latest vacancies, the latest version of hundreds of company webpages and the most recent recruitment competitions. The site was transferred to Verthink S.r.l. in May 2006. From the MotoreLavoro experience emerged BigList.it, which extended the concept of the ad aggregator to property, cars and motorcycles.
- WebVoice.it, 2005 - This was the first commercial product to emerge from the iVoice.it community. It enabled visitors to talk directly to the site operator by clicking a button on the webpage - ideal for concluding business deals, accepting bookings, and providing online assistance and consultation.
- iVoice.it, 2004 - The first community for VOIP based on SIP standards. We offered messaging services such as Voice Mail and a directory of registered users, and enabled users to embed a direct line to their own phone number into their personal or business webpages. Other social and entertainment services included Voice Chat, Più Voice, Sexy Voice and Incontriamoci su iVoice (permanent conference-call chat rooms, public or PIN-protected).
- CityLife S.p.A. (with Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze S.p.A., Andersen Consulting, DADA S.p.A. & Monrif.Net), 2000 - Created software for creating and sending newsletters from the Firenze.net portal, and software for managing hotel bookings and showing availability on the Firenze.net portal.
- BasicNet S.p.A. (Kappa), 2000 - Created presentation for the launch of the Italian Football Association's “Kombat” shirt for the Euro 2000 championship.
- Province of Livorno, 2000 - For the then European Community’s Interreg II programme, developed a portal for local information, including a search engine.
1996 ~ 1999
Co-founding Member & Software Development
Nautilus M.P. S.a.s.
This was one of the first Italian firms to use the internet as a vehicle to promote tourism. The “Cuore della Toscana” website (www.nautilus-mp.com, July 1996) was a complete guide to the area southeast of Siena between Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino and San Quirico d’Orcia. We developed internet mini-sites dedicated to regional tourism businesses (rooms to let, agritourisms, holiday homes), and some of the earliest e-commerce sites with virtual shopping carts for selling regional products. We also published paper-based tourist information (brochures, leaflets, flyers, and catalogues) promoting local towns and businesses.
- Communication Science University of Siena, 1998 ~ 2001
- Computer Sciences University of Florence, 1997 ~ 1998
- Scientific High School Diploma Antonio Da Sangallo Technical College, Montepulciano, 1992 ~ 1997
Final grade: 59/60
- “Bit Italia Informatica” School Perugia, 1991-1992. Diploma 16/06/92 n. 3427 awarded in MS-DOS operation/programming, word processing, BASIC programming, databases
Final grade: Excellent
- Immobiliare.it cresce e apre una Academy La Repubblica ~ January, 25 2019
- Unomattina: le posizioni aperte nel reparto tecnologico di Immobiliare.it Rai 1 ~ November 19, 2018
- Radio program 2024: Tecnologia e ricerca immobiliare Radio24 ~ December 15, 2017
- Interview at Milan Dell EMC Forum 2017 ClassTV ~ November 14, 2017
- Immobiliare.it punta a raddoppiare il team Labs, 60 assunzioni in due anni Adnkronos ~ October 29, 2017
- Immobiliare.it raddoppia Lavorare ~ October 10, 2017
- Immobiliare.it: «Il futuro per ogni azienda? Investire nei giovani talenti (appassionati)» DiariodelWeb.it ~ June 20, 2017
- Interoute, collaborazione tecnologica con Immobiliare.it adnkronos ~ June 12, 2017
- Immobiliare.it Innovazione Tecnologica e Nuove Assunzioni BlogLavoro ~ June 9, 2017
- Più tecnologia e sicurezza per Immobiliare.it CorCom ~ June 7, 2017
- Immobiliare 2.0: Come l’innovazione tecnologica di Immobiliare.it sta rivoluzionando il settore Interoute ~ June 7, 2017
- Immobiliare.it Hits 2 million downloads and Releases Android App Property Portal Watch ~ February 3, 2015
- Immobiliare.it festeggia i 2 milioni di download e lancia la nuova App per Android Immobiliare.it ~ January 29, 2015
- Combattere la disoccupazione imparando a programmare Immobiliare.it ~ December 11, 2014